Sunday, April 20, 2008

Gardening on a Lovely Saturday

Yesterday I was able to squeeze in a little gardening with Grandma and Marian at Grandma's house. We added some leaves and old veggies to the compost pile. None of us has ever done this before, but Marian seems to know what she is doing, and it is looking good. Apparently the compost will never stink and it is super good for your garden.
We checked up on the onions, lettuce, and peas, which have sprouted. The carrots and beets haven't shown their faces yet, but hopefully it won't be too long before they do.

OnionsLettuceThen we set up some pots for Jordan's and mine own garden. We do have a yard, but it's not really ours, so we're just setting up some pots on our porch and on the stairs leading up to it. So far we have planted spinach, lettuce, onions, radishes, sugar peas, and thyme. Later in the summer we'll plant more. We'll update the progress of our garden with photos! There's something about working in your own garden that is very satisfying and gratifying; I think it is partly the physical work and the fact that the work is outside. I love getting my hands in the dirt every now and again. But I also love to watch the progress of little sprouts to plants to beautiful fruits. And of course, the end result is delicious! Here are some more pictures of our nice day in the yard.

Me watering the onionsA beautiful day

I love how the magnolia blossoms are all at different stages right now

Daffodil and Jonquil

2 comments:

Deon said...

Ash, you are obviously related to Grandma Bea with your love of gardening and love of seeing things grow. It is great therapy for the soul, isn't it. Your little onion shoots are darling as they are peeking out of the ground. I guess I need you to come teach me about our garden--I have no clue what to do in it. You could be our family's gardening specialist! What do you say?

Rachel said...

I'm so jealous of your weather and your little sprouts!

I've been itching to get outside and start my vegetable garden, but it's been quite chilly the last week.

And if you and Jordan are doing a pot garden, I know from experience that basil thrives in pots.