Thursday, April 10, 2008

Birdwatching at Utah Lake

I was supposed to leave on a trapping trip today, but it got postponed until tomorrow. So I decided to drive around Provo Bay by Utah lake to see if I could find some birds. In about an hour and a half I saw at least 20 species of birds. Here are some of them that I caught on camera. You can click on them to make them bigger. Most of the pictures are blurry because I was pretty far away and because I'm not usually quick enough with a camera to get birds!

Utah Lake

Spring is on its way!
Some kind of hawk, I am really bad at identifying hawks!
White-faced ibises
Clark's Grebe...
...stretching!

American kestrel, the smallest falcon, flying in placeCanada Goose
Barn Swallow
Western Meadowlark...I know its a terrible picture, but its definitely a meadowlark...see the yellow?
Great Blue Heron...I almost missed him, I saw him from my car just in time. When I drove a few more feet, he disappeared behind the grasses.

Cliff Swallows...there were hundreds flying over the water and resting on the road.

Besides these birds, there were several others I saw/heard but didn't snap pictures of: killdeer, red-winged blackbird, song (?) sparrow, blue-winged teal, American coot, magpie, mallards, Western flicker, seagull, eared grebe, northern shoveler...and a squirrel!

I haven't gone birdwatching for a while. It was really fun to take a relaxing drive around the lake and see some cool wildlife!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are beautiful! I am waaaaayyy impressed at your incredible ability to identify all of those birds! Of course, I especially like the photo of the buds emerging on the branch of the tree:) All of these pictures are awesome!

Ashley said...

Thanks, feller! Come birdwatching with me sometime and bring your camera!

Anonymous said...

Ash, actually it was me, your humble little mom, who posted above. For some reason, Christian's account is overriding mine and I can't figure out how to change it. Anyway, I'm sure he will agree with what I accidentally wrote in his name when he sees your pictures! I hope you're doing well! Love you tons!

Christine said...

Man, I am also impressed by your bird-identifying abilities! I thought the Western Meadowlark looked interesting so I googled it. They are pretty!

Ashley said...

Mom, try signing out of blogger, then signing in again under your own name. That might work.

Christine, I'm in southern Utah right now and every morning I hear a western meadowlark right outside of our window. It's really, really pretty!

Kurt said...

Amazing-- my bird classification skilss are limited to:

Big Birds <--> Little Birds
Birds that Fly <--> Birds that Don't

I hope you're a Nature merit badge counselor for Jordan's troop!