Saturday, January 29, 2011

Valentine's Day Service Project: Caps for Good

I came across this great opportunity the other day. The foundation Save the Children has a Newborn and Child Survival Campaign, which focuses on simple child survival solutions such as providing vaccinations, mosquito netting, antibiotics, diarrhea medicine, health worker training, and basic newborn care.

"Nearly 4 million babies die each year in their first month -- half within their first 24 hours -- mostly from preventable or treatable causes."

One way that they are asking people to help is to knit or crochet a cap that would cover a newborn's head and help keep the baby warm.  The cap is just one part of the child survival program that cuts death rates in half for babies born with low birth weights.

The foundation is asking people to make one cap and then spread the word to as many people as possible, rather than making a bunch of caps. I have already made mine (but might make just one more for good measure!), so now it's my turn to spread the word. I bet I can get three people who read this blog to make a cap -- because I know at least three of you can crochet and/or knit!

Here's mine. I kept thinking about a sweet little baby's head as I was making it. (I forgot how small they are!)


If you don't know how, now would be a great time to learn! A little cap like this is a pretty simple project, and there are several patterns you could use. Before you do anything else, though, check out this kit for details on the program and where to send your cap when you are done. It includes patterns for both knitting and crochet, and a tag that you can attach to your hat with a personalized message.

I chose not to use the pattern they provided because I wasn't quite sure about the joining step, so I used this one from my friend Rochelle's blog instead. You can easily google simple cap patterns too. There are several great demonstrations of kitting and crocheting on YouTube.

The program ends on February 28, which is when caps will start being sent out to mothers and babies in Asian, African, and South American countries. I think it is just a perfect project of love for Valentine's Day! Let me know when you finish your caps. Send me pictures of them and I can show them off for you here! When you're all finished, send the caps to: 

Save the Children, Caps for Good
c/o The Doe Fund
173 Cook Street
Brooklyn, NY 11206 

Good luck!

5 comments:

rochelle said...

Oh, that hat turned out so sweet! This is a cause I feel really good about supporting!

Deon said...

Oooh, oooh!!! Me! Me! I want in! I have the hook, I have the yarn, I just need the ability to understand written directions! That part is so hard for me. But, I'm going to give it a go. This is a great service you are doing here, Ash. And, your little hat is simply adorable! Way to go!

Jason said...

Cute hats! What a great idea, too. Now I feel like I need to go and learn how to crochet...

Jenni Elyse said...

Sounds like a great idea! Thanks for spreading the word. I'll definitely make one and spread the word. :)

Emily Moffat said...

This is a great idea! Such a darling cap you made!