Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Forget Training Wheels!

Breaking news! The boy can ride a two wheeler. Without training wheels. He's not even three and a half. Yes, I am bragging about my son.



In short, we bought him a little bike last December for his birthday, and took off the pedals. A lot of kids seem to be learning to ride their two-wheelers using balance bikes, bikes made without pedals especially for teaching kids to balance. I thought that made sense, but instead of an expensive balance bike, we just went with a regular one from Craigslist and removed the pedals.

Well, the bike was a bit too tall in December, so we put it away for a while. Only about two weeks ago did we pull it back out, and soon he was whizzing down hills and balancing like a pro. This phase went so fast that I have no video of it! Today Kimball and Jordan put the pedals on. And here he is, literally on his second or third try:





This was not the traumatic, running along behind with one hand on the seat, tear-filled experience I was expecting. He can already take off by himself.

Seconds after the last video was taken, Jordan called and I put Kimball on. Kimball said,

"Hey Dad. I riding really good, and I really proud."

SO ARE WE, KIMBALL!!


(Picture and videos were taken on my old cell phone, because I have a really bad habit of not emptying my camera until it is too full to use!)

6 comments:

Deon said...

I'm bursting with pride over here! Where, oh where, did your little baby go??? Why, he ran off and donned a superhero outfit and now apparently wields the mighty two-wheeler super power! Hahaha! I love how his streamlined helmet only adds to the whole comic book character look--Jordan has GOT to be pleased as punch with that!

This kid is amazing! Did you see him taking those extremely sharp turns without so much as a wobble? And, even when he rammed into something in that last video, he didn't even miss a beat!

For some reason, I see a unicycle in your future. Cuz, I was thinking, even without Ashley's reminder, Kimball IS Christian's nephew, after all :D

Tell Kimball that Deedee is sooooooooo proud of him and his awesome biking skills!

Dave said...

Congratulations Kimball!!!

You are riding like the big boys. I can't wait until you come visit in a few months so Papa and Deedee can see you ride in person.

Ashley, it seems just like yesterday when we were gushing about you the same way. My how time flies!

Kathleen said...

CONGRATULATIONS KIMBALL!!! WOhooo! He is cruzing. I can't believe how big he's getting!! Way to go!

Jenni Elyse said...

Wow! That's awesome! He was riding like a pro. Heck, he rides better than I do. I'm seriously impressed! Way to go, Kimball!

Lindsay said...

very impressive! i love the super hero costume too :)

Emily Moffat said...

Wow, I cannot believe how grown up he is!! He's so darling, Ashley. I love all your pictures, and his awesome comment about how he's proud of himself. I think we'd all do better to hang on a bit more to the self-confidence we effortlessly embody as children. Way to go, Kimball! You are riding good!