Kimball can hear and recognize the train near our house when it whistles (although he doesn't remember ever seeing a train in real life). This evening during his bath, he looked at me and pointed in the general direction of the front door, and made his "uh" sound that means he is calling my attention to something. "Funny," I thought, "that is how he acts when he hears a train, only I haven't heard any trains." A few seconds later I did hear a train, only because I was listening for it, which means he is noticing things that I don't!
During the same bath, I put extra soap in the water to make bubbles. I'd never done this before, so he was very intrigued. He explored the bubbles by touching them, looking at his hand, splashing his hand in the water, and looking at it again. Then he grabbed one of his toys and scooped up bubbles with it to see the effect bubbles had on the toy and vice versa. It was very deliberate. I think he is going to be a great problem solver!
While putting his blocks away today, he very purposefully fit two blocks in each hand by manipulating his fingers, thereby using less effort than he would by picking up each block one by one.
Kimball was carrying around a little toy school bus that has letters all around the sides. When you press a letter, a voice says the name of the letter. As he was walking, his knee kept hitting "W! W! W! W! W!" He'd hoist the bus higher up so it would stop making this apparently annoying sound. I was just impressed that he knew that his own knee was causing the problem, and how to fix it.
Enough of that. I will leave you with a picture or two.

8 comments:
So sweet!! We have that bus too and my kids still play with it. :)
He's one smart cookie! And, very cute too. I love the first picture with his "Yay" face and his hair is so cute!
What a great little problem solver. With the bubbles, the blocks and the bus. He has figured out how to manuever and manipulate all three of them. Isn't it so fun to watch them grow and learn? We can hear a train near our house and only Addi and I have heard it. I mentioned the train to Randy the other day and he said that he's never heard the train. Isnt' it funny the things we notice?
BTW, the pictures of Kimball are absolutely darling! He has the cutest little face. I love his innocent eyes!
Aw, I love the hat pic. I think Kimball is on his way to becoming a great engineer ;)
He is so darn smart! Don't worry about bragging about him, people that view your blog love this little guy and agree that he has a superior brain! Love the hat! Quite dashing along with being smart!
You wrote, "Enough of that." And I say, no, not enough of that! I loved reading about all of Kimball's new discoveries and problem solving skills. I think he was only a few months old when I declared that he is a brilliant baby. Well, am I right or am I right?!!! The proof is in the pudding, as they say.
Do you know what else I equally love about this post? I love the fact that you are noticing all of these small and subtle moments of Kimball's learning and discovery. It just shows that you are a very involved, loving, patient mama who takes the time to actually BE with your baby boy. That, sweet Ash, will do more for Kimball than anything else in the world. You and Jordan are just the best!
(Hey! Just call me Grandmama Sappy.)
I especially like the last photo. He looks like he will gather his pack and go mountaineering in Switzerland.
Post a Comment