Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Why I love Republicans and Democrats

Tonight I was very touched by John McCain's speech. I'm very excited to have this one long national nightmare come to an end. I hope now we as Americans can all come together while respectfully acknowledging our differences. I thought that the two speeches tonight by Senator John McCain and President Elect Barack Obama speak volumes about what we need to do together as a country. We need to move past the petty attacks and empty rhetoric. It is my prayer that we can actually address the problems that face our country at home and abroad without the selfish desire of partisan self preservation. I have always been touched that in so many of my Church and temple meetings I hear sincere prayers for the President to be able to carry the burdens of his office. I hope that I continue to hear those prayers. I've always been touched by the patriotism of the members of the Church. I hope that I continue to hear that same faith and optimism from Church members. I have faith in America. I know that our ideals and our country will be preserved. This still and always will be America, not Obamamerica.


I thought the words of the two candidates really said it all:

"These are difficult times for our country. And I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face.

"I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.

"Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans." --Senator John McCain



"There will be setbacks and false starts. There are many who won’t agree with every decision or policy I make as President, and we know that government can’t solve every problem. But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And above all, I will ask you join in the work of remaking this nation the only way it’s been done in America for two-hundred and twenty-one years – block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand....

"So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other. Let us remember that if this financial crisis taught us anything, it’s that we cannot have a thriving Wall Street while Main Street suffers – in this country, we rise or fall as one nation; as one people.

"Let us resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long. Let us remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House – a party founded on the values of self-reliance, individual liberty, and national unity. Those are values we all share, and while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress. As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, “We are not enemies, but friends…though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection.” And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn – I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too."--President Elect Barack Obama


These two speeches just hit home to me the fact that in my family I love both Republicans and Democrats. I've always had differences with some people that I love but those differences have never tainted my love for them. I really believe that as Americans we are all members of a family that stands for liberty and justice for all. I hope that as an American family we can all come together, put aside our differences, and work towards our greatest ideals.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Beautiful thoughts, Ashley. I thought Senator McCain's words were very classy. It couldn't have been easy for him to say what he did. I also agree with you about Obama's speech. I would love to see America really come together and I believe Obama can lead us there.

Anonymous said...

AMEN!
Love,
Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa Haug

Ashley said...

Sorry Ryan, as much as I'd like to take the credit for the well-written post, I have to give it to Jordan. I totally agree with him and couldn't have said it any better!

Jacque said...

When is your baby Shower??
I hope I didn't miss it! We moved and so I can't remember which address I gave you o send the invitation! I hope it hasn't passe!!

Ashley said...

Jacque,
I emailed you the details! Sorry you haven't received an invite yet!