Sunday, November 25, 2012

First Day of Preschool

Kimball started preschool this year! His first day was at the end of October. We had his favorite dinner the night before (Japanese curry and sticky rice--really), and took some pictures right before we left that morning.

He was so excited to be a big boy headed off to school!


His classroom is adorable. Their time is well-structured and includes things like working at the Writing Center (Kimball's favorite), crafts, stories, cooking, show and tell, etc. Every week is brought to you by a letter (like Sesame Street!) This week they will learn about the letter C. Kimball can now spell his name for you and write it down. It's been great to see him so eager to learn things that he just didn't have the patience or motivation to do at home with me.

After the first day or two, I think the reality of school hit him--that he had to get up and say goodbye to me everyday (he's been in a phase of separation anxiety for a while). Those days he cried when I dropped him off or when his ride took him in the morning, and ran to me when I picked him up. It had me worried and anxious for a while, but all of a sudden something changed and now he can't wait to go every morning. Thanksgiving break actually really bugged him. When I told him he was finally going back to school on Monday he did a little dance and cheer. When I pick him up now, he just looks at me from where he's sitting (the Writing Center lately), says "hi mom!" and turns back to his work for as long as he can.

The preschool is four days a week, and three and a half hours every day. He already knew three other kids in his class, and it sounds like he's been making friends with the others as well. Here's to a great year Kimball!

3 comments:

Deon said...

This is one of those epic events that always brought excitement to me as well as a bit of longing for the baby who suddenly became a big preschooler! I always had to remind myself that the ultimate goal is to have kind, loving, and independent adult children. I'd say I have that in spades!

Kimball is well on his way! Go, Kimball!!!

Jenni Elyse said...

Awww! It's hard to believe he's old enough for preschool. He's getting so big!

I'm glad he's no longer anxious and becoming more independent. But, I love that he's still excited to see you! :)

rochelle said...

So cute! Sounds like an awesome preschool experience! I'm glad he's learned to enjoy preschool.