Thursday, October 25, 2012

Kimball's Book Club: Flotsam

I'm going to try to get back into blogging. This will be tricky since our camera is broken, and most of my blogging consists of posting pictures. Also because of that little detail of having hardly any free time. But we'll give it the old college try, shall we?

Time for the latest installment of Kimball's Book Club. We found this book at the library the other day, and I fell completely in love.


Flotsam is a Caldecott Medal winner by David Wiesner. It has no text, only beautiful illustrations. It's about a boy who is enjoying a day at the beach when he comes across a magical underwater camera. He develops the film inside and discovers the wondrous things that go on under the sea. For a book with no words, there is an incredible amount of detail. I read it by myself a few times so I could go at my own pace and almost got goosebumps because it was just that cool. Oh, and Kimball liked it too, which is good because this is his book club.


We've checked out other David Wiesner books since then, and they're all awesome. Flotsam might be my favorite though. I've also decided that I want a shelf in my house for all the Caldecott winner picture books through the years. In case you ever need a gift idea or anything. ;)

2 comments:

Deon said...

Oho! You know how I feel about this, right? Kimball? Book club? Library? Blogging about it all? Win! Win! Win! Win!

This book looks lovely! That bottom pic has so much detail, as you say, and I can see how you could spend a lot of time just taking it in. I'm guessing that is the camera hanging out there on the right of the illustration? Your top photo is pretty ding-dong darling too!!!

Alison Downs said...

Yay for blogging! I know exactly what you mean about it being hard to find the time :)
We also love the library...and now have a new book to look for. Thanks for sharing!