Friday, April 12, 2013

Kimball's Book Club: Frankenstein

This book was a smashing hit at our house. I think we renewed it twice before we returned it to the library. It is called Frankenstein, and is a parody of Ludwig Bemelman's Madeline. It mirrors Madeline line for line, illustration for illustration, but substitutes adorable little monsters for the French girls.







I was going to try to find lines from both Frankenstien and Madeline and put them side by side so you can see the comparison, but I'm too lazy. I will tell you that while Madeline needs to have her appendix out, Miss Devel calls Dr. Bone for Frankenstein because "his noggin's gone!" and he needs a brand new head with "two huge new screws", which become the envy of all the other little monsters.

I'll just end by saying that this book was such a favorite that I will probably purchase it one day. It made Kimball laugh, and the illustrations of the monsters are downright adorable.

1 comment:

Deon said...

It does not surprise me one little bit that Kimball fell in love with this book! I'm predicting that he will probably be writing his own version of this book some day in the not to distant future! And, of course, I don't need to tell you how it truly floats my boat that you are bringing him up to love books. Good on ya, guys!